ROCKFORD, Ill. - The Rockford University men's basketball team (0-3) fell to a strong Augustana College Vikings team (3-1) in a thrilling game by a final score of 78-64. Augustana was ranked #3 in the preseason in all of division three men's basketball. It was a tale of two halves as the Regents struggled in the first before outscoring the Vikings in the second 43-38. One important stat to look at was the free throw efficiency by both teams. Augustana was 23-for-28 from the line compared to just 16-of-29 for Rockford.
- Both teams opened up playing good defense and not allowing the opposition to score for the first two minutes of the game.
- Finally, Augustana broke the scoreless tie as they continued on a 10-2 run.
- The Vikings continued to control the tempo of the first half as they outscored the Regents 40-21 heading into the half.
- Both teams shooting percentage in the first half were fairly similar, but what set the two apart was the Vikings ability to knock down shots from the free throw line. Augustana converted on 10-of-11 from the line in the first half to help build on its comfortable lead.
- The second half was a different story as Rockford came out with a spark. The spark was ignited when Brandon Emerick (Elkhart, Ind.) stole a Viking pass and sent a perfect lob to Jeremiah Stewart (Chicago, Ill.) who threw down and completed an emphatic alley-oop to make it 44-29.
- From that point Rockford went on a 14-2 to run to make it 46-43 with 10:50 left to play.
- The Vikings made two free throws to regain a lead, but Kivontay Shaw (Galesburg, Ill.) would cut into the lead again with his second three-pointer of the game. Shaw made it a 48-46 game with 9:34 remaining.
- The Regents would make it as close as a one-point game on a Kevin Diemer (Rockford, Ill.) layup that made it a 53-52 game with 7:07 left on the clock.
- Unfortunately, two big threes' from Augustana helped propel them on a late run that the Regents were never able to dig themselves out of.
- Augustana went on to drop Rockford by a final score of 78-64.
- Tony Diemer (Rockford, Ill.) led the way for the Regents with a team-high in both points with 15 and rebounds with 10. Tony Diemer recorded his first double-double of the season.
- Kevin Diemer finished with 14 points, 9 rebounds and 3 assists.
- Brandon Emerick had a nice all-around effort combining for 11 points, 5 assists, 4 steals and 2 rebounds.
- The Regents outscored the Vikings in the paint 30-26 and 21-11 in bench points.
The Rockford University men's basketball team returns to action on Tuesday, November 27 when it hosts MSOE. The game is set for a 7 PM start time.