RIVER FOREST, Ill. - The Regents men's basketball team (0-2, 0-1 NACC) opened NACC play on Thursday night with a tough 86-79 road loss to the Concordia University Chicago Cougars (1-1, 1-0 NACC). Thursday's game was really a tale of two halves as Rockford outscored Concordia Chicago by five in the first half, but were then outscored by the Cougars by twelve in the second. The Regents scorched the nets in the opening twenty minutes, shooting a blistering 48.8% (20-of-41) from the floor including knocking down 42.9% from three-point range (6-of-14). By contrast, Rockford shot just 35.9% (14-of-39) from the field in the second half including 25.0% (3-for-12) from beyond the arc. However despite the rough shooting stretch in the second half, the Regents were still right in the game. Ultimately it was the huge discrepancy in both fouls and free throws that did the Regents in. Rockford was whistled for ten more fouls than Concordia Chicago and shot 26 fewer free throws than the Cougars, resulting in a 25-point advantage at the charity stripe for CUC.
- The early moments of the game belonged to the Regents with Rockford knocking down its first five shot attempts to take a quick 11-4 lead. Jeremiah Stewart (Chicago, Ill.) was involved on three of the four baskets, scoring six points and dishing out one assist.
- Concordia Chicago led for only 1 minute and 59 seconds in the first half, as Rockford responded each time the Cougars got close.
- With the game tied 35-35 and just under five minutes remaining in the first half, the Regents used a 9-2 run over the next two and a half minutes to grab a 44-37 advantage. Jeremiah Stewart and Kivontay Shaw (Galesburg, Ill.) combined to score all nine of the points during that span.
- CUC chipped two points off the lead over the final two plus minutes, as Rockford took a 46-41 advantage into the break.
- Rockford would push its lead to as many as 11 points midway through the second half. Guards Brandon Emerick (Elkhart, Ind.) and Alonzo Mitchell (Rochester, Mich.) combined to score five straight points to give Rockford its largest lead of the day at 62-51.
- Unfortunately things began to take a turn for the worse from that point forward. The Cougars used an 18-5 run over the next five minutes to take their first lead of the second half at 69-67.
- Rockford responded and tied the game at 71-71 after a Will Adams (Chicago, Ill.) made layup. However Concordia Chicago answered right back scoring the next six points to leap back in front 77-71 with just 2:39 remaining in the game.
- The Regents able to get back within four on three separate occasions, but could not get any closer, as CUC went on to win by a final score of 86-79.
- Brandon Emerick led Rockford with a team-high 18 points on 7-for-18 shooting, including draining four three-pointers. He rounded out his stat line with 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal and 1 block.
- Jeremiah Stewart also played well, scoring 17 points on 8-of-18 shooting. Stewart added 4 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 steal.
- Kivontay Shaw tallied his first double-double of the season with 10 points and a game-high 11 rebounds. Shaw was extremely efficient from the floor, knocking down 5-of-8 shot attempts.
- Tony Diemer (Rockford, Ill.) finished with 12 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 steals.
The Rockford University men's basketball team opens the home portion of its schedule on Saturday, November 24 against Augustana College. Tip-off is set for 4:00 PM at the Seaver Center.