WAUKESHA, Wis. - Rockford University senior Tony Diemer (Rockford, Ill.) cemented his name in school history on Saturday afternoon by becoming just the 16th RU men's basketball player to record 500 career rebounds. Diemer entered the season needing just two rebounds to join the 500 rebound club and easily eclipsed that number on Saturday. Unfortunately it was a difficult day overall for the Regents (0-1) who fell 100-66 on the road to the Carroll University Pioneers (1-0). The Pioneers seemed to be firing on all cylinders the entire game. Carroll shot a blistering 58.6% (34-for-58) from the field including knocking down 53.6% (15-for-28) of its three-point attempts. Rockford by contrast shot 39.3% (24-for-61) from the floor and 33.3% (6-for-18) from three-point range.
- The Regents and Pioneers each led in the opening moments of the game. Carroll scored the first five points of the afternoon to grab a quick 5-0 advantage. Rockford would respond with a 7-0 run of its own to take its first lead of the day. Sophomore guard Brandon Emerick (Elkhart, Ind.) scored five of the seven points, including knocking down Rockford's first triple of the season. Jeremiah Stewart (Chicago, Ill.) scored the other two points during that span, connecting on his first shot attempt of the year.
- However the led did not last long, as Carroll promptly responded with a 15-0 run to leap out to a 20-7 advantage.
- The streak of runs continued as the Regents then scored the next eight points to make it a 5-point game at 20-15. During that span, Brandon Emerick and Denzel Halliburton (Elkhart, Ind.) knocked down back-to-back three-pointers to help spark the Rockford offensive attack. Kivontay Shaw (Galesburg, Ill.) finished off the Rockford run with his first bucket of the year.
- The Pioneer lead would hover around seven points until the closing minutes of the half, when Carroll used a 13-7 run to take a 48-35 advantage into halftime.
- Unfortunately the second half did not go well for Rockford as the Regents were never able to get any closer than 12 points. Carroll led by as many as 44 before ultimately winning by a final score of 100-63.
- Kevin Diemer (Rockford, Ill.) finished with a team-high 13 points and a game-high 10 rebounds for his first double-double of the season. Diemer was extremely efficient offensively shooting 60.0% (6-of-10) from the floor and 50.0% (1-of-2) from beyond the arc.
- Brandon Emerick had a solid all-around game for Rockford. Emerick finished with 11 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals. Emerick also shot lights out, knocking down 4-of-7 shot attempts, including connecting on 3-of-5 from three-point range.
- Denzel Halliburton finished with 8 points and Taylor Krocker (Portage, Wis.) added 7 points off the bench.
- Tony Diemer joined a pair of elite clubs on Saturday afternoon. In addition to becoming the newest member of the 500 rebound club, Diemer became only the fourteenth player in program history with 1,000 points and 500 rebounds in a career.
The Rockford University men's basketball team opens NACC play on Thursday, November 15 at Concordia University Chicago. Tip-off is set for 7:00 PM.