RIVER FOREST, Ill. - The Rockford University football team (2-6, 1-4 NACC) fell 41-13 on the road Saturday afternoon to the Concordia University Chicago Cougars (2-6, 1-4 NACC). Despite what the final score might indicate, Rockford had its chances to score points as the Regents were able to move the ball up and down the field. The Regents finished with 343 yards of total offense including 184 through the air and 159 on the ground. Unfortunately the Cougar offense was able to convert its drives into points, scoring on its first six possessions. The Cougar offense was also bolstered by the return of star running back Lance Moise, who has rushed for over 125 yards in all six games including three 200-yard performances. However, the Rockford defense did the best job of any team containing Moise all season, holding him to his lowest output of the year.
- The Cougars broke the scoreless tie with 10:08 remaining in the first quarter when CUC quarterback Jordan Sepulved hit Da'Nas Pinellas for 80-yard touchdown to make it 7-0 game.
- Rockford responded with a touchdown of its own on its very next drive to tie the game at 7-7. The Regents methodically worked their way down the field using 11 plays to cover 55 yards, capped off with a 1-yard touchdown plunge by LaVar Johnson Jr. (Memphis, Tenn.).
- However Concordia Chicago answered right back with a touchdownon on its very next possession to retake the lead. The Cougars went 70 yards on 9 plays capped off by a Lance Moise 8-yard touchdown run to give CUC a 14-7 lead.
- The Cougars would score three more times in the first half and take a 31-7 lead into the intermission.
- Concordia Chicago opened the second half with its fifth touchdown of the afternoon. The Cougars used just over three minutes off the clock, going 48 yards on 8 plays to extend their lead to 38-7.
- The score remained unchanged until the closing moments of the third quarter when the Cougars tacked on their second field goal of the game to make it 41-7.
- Rockford would not go down without a fight though, as the Regents answered right back with a touchdown of their own. Ja'uan Joiner (Phenix City, Ala.) took the ensuing kickoff and returned it 85 yards for a touchdown to make it a 41-13 game.
- The Regents were able to move the ball down the field and into the red zone on each of their final two possessions. Unfortunately Rockford came up empty both times and fell by a final score of 41-13.
- Senior Chance Manning (Durand, Ill.) led the Rockford offensive attack. Manning carried the ball 17 times for 81 yards and caught 2 passes for 15 yards.
- Adam Ambrogio (Rockford, Ill.) finished with with a team high 5 receptions for 59 yards.
- Jallen Bashford (Fairbury, Ill.) tallied a career-high 17 tackles including 9 solo tackles and 0.5 tackle for loss. Bashford's 17 tackles is tied for the fifth most in a game in school history.
- Jared Johnson (Miami, Fla.) recorded 10 tackles including 6 solo tackles, 2 tackles for loss, 1 sack and a forced fumble.
- Ja'uan Joiner returned 3 kickoffs for 133 yards including one for an 86-yard touchdown. It was Rockford's first kickoff return for a touchdown since October 17, 2009 when Jeremiah Montgomery returned a kickoff 77 yards for a score.
The Rockford University football team returns home on Saturday, November 3 against Concordia University Wisconsin. Kickoff is set for 1 PM at Sam Greeley Field. Be sure to join us as Rockford will be honoring its senior class prior to the game.