ROCKFORD, Ill. - The Rockford University baseball team (9-21, 3-13 NACC) hosted the Lakeland University Muskies (9-28, 7-15 NACC) on Saturday afternoon. The Regents jumped out for the first win taking down the Muskies 6-1. However, Lakeland would get the best of Rockford in game two as the RU comeback fell just short 3-2.
Game 1: Rockford 6 Lakeland 1
- The Regents did not waste any time getting on the board as they jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first.
- Hunter Fiorito (Batavia, Ill.) started things off as he drew a walk and then proceeded to steal second. One batter latter Fiorito continued his way around the bases stealing third.
- With two outs Michael Gunter (Maricopa, Ariz.) cranked a double into right center to allow Fiorito to trot home.
- With neither team budging Rockford finally got back on the board in the bottom of the fifth with a three-run inning.
- With one out Cristian Bermeo (Chicago, Ill.) singled to left before an error allowed Iszak Mestas (Burbank, Ill.) to reach first and move Bermeo to second.
- Fiorito did well smashing a double to right field to give Rockford a 2-0 lead.
- Brett Down (Princeville, Ill.) did well to load the bases as Gunter would find himself at the plate with two outs.
- Gunter poked a single through the left side that was good enough to score two and increase the RU lead to 4-0.
- The Regents were not done yet as they tacked on two more runs in the bottom of the sixth to take a commanding 6-0 lead.
- After Christian Garcia (Maricopa, Ariz.) wore a pitch, Troy Tucci (Wood Dale, Ill.) and Cristian Bermeo laid down back-to-back perfect bunts to load the bases.
- Mestas did well to drive a run in as he grounded out to short. While Fiorito chalked up a sac fly to center field.
- Joseph Kmiec (Bolingbrook, Ill.) played incredible in game one as he had only given up two hits heading into the top of the ninth.
- Unfortunately the Muskies would end the shutout as they scored their lone run in the ninth as they fell 6-1.
Game 2: Lakeland 3 Rockford 2
- In game two it was the Muskies this time who jumped out to the early lead as they went up 1-0 in the top of the first.
- Lakeland chalked up one run in the third and another in the fifth to take a 3-0 lead.
- Rockford would not give up as they got two runs back in the bottom of the sixth to make it a 3-2 game.
- An error and a Brett Down bunt allowed the Regents to have runners on first and second.
- Gunter laid down a nice sacrifice bunt to help advance both runners.
- Garcia did enough lacing a single through the left side to bring both of the runner's home.
- In the top of the sixth Clay Goodwin (St. Francisville, Ill.) did well stepping in on the mound to get a quick three outs in both the sixth and the seventh, giving up no hits.
- Zack Jones (Rockford, Ill.) was called upon on the mound in the eighth and ninth as he got all six batters outs, including three straight in the ninth.
- Unfortunately the Regents could not complete the comeback as they fell to Lakeland 3-2.
- Joseph Kmiec earned his first win on the season throwing a complete game. Kmiec gave up just three hits while allowing no earned runs and striking out 9 batters.
- Michael Gunter finished 3-for-4 with a double and 3 RBIs.
- Cristian Bermeo went 3-for-4 with a run scored.
- Hunter Fiorito finished 1-for-2 with a double, 2 RBIs and 2 runs scored.
- Clay Goodwin tossed 2 innings giving up no hits and striking out one batter.
- Zack Jones threw the final 2 innings of the game giving up no hits and retiring 3 batters.
- Christian Garcia led the way for RU at the plate going 3-for-4 with 2 RBIs.
- Brett Down, Troy Tucci and Corey Saracco each logged a hit.
The Rockford University baseball team gets right back to action on Sunday, May 5 when it hosts Aurora University at Rivets Stadium when RU honors its seven seniors. First pitch of the doubleheader is scheduled for noon.