LOVES PARK, Ill. - The Rockford University baseball team (8-19, 2-13) fell twice on Monday to the Marian University Sabres (16-11, 8-8 NACC). Rockford dropped game one by a final score of 10-0 before falling in game two 11-4.
Game 1: Marian 10 Rockford 0
- Rockford could not get its bats going in game one as the team accounted for just six hits. RU was only able to have one runner reach third the entire game
- The Sabres posted two runs in the second, three in the fourth, two in the sixth and eighth and one more in the ninth to go on to take game one by a final score of 10-0.
Game 2: Marian 10 Rockford 4
- Rockford was able to get the bats going in game two as the Regents out-hit the Sabres 11-8. Unfortunately Marian would again be on the winning end.
- The Sabres opened up to a 3-0 lead after a two-run first and added one more in the third.
- Rockford finally was able to put runs on the board as RU tied the game up at 3-3 in the bottom of the sixth.
- Kyle Waugh (Waseca, Minn.) got things started as he singled to left field. One out later a Christian Garcia (Maricopa, Ariz.) walk would give RU runners on first and second.
- Brett Down (Princeville, Ill.) did well to bring Waugh home after he singled down the left field line.
- One batter later Dylan Johnson (Rockford, Ill.) singled to right field as an error helped add to the runs as the Regents tied the game at 3-3.
- Unfortunately Marian would answer right back as the Sabres scored two in the seventh, four in the eighth and one in the ninth to take a commanding 10-3 lead.
- Rockford tried to mount a comeback in the ninth, but were only able to manage one run.
- With one out Dylan Johnson doubled to left field before a single by Hunter Fiorito (Batavia, Ill.) gave RU runners on the corners.
- Michael Gunter (Maricopa, Ariz.) would record and RBI on a fielder's choice as Johnson raced home.
- Unfortunately Rockford would fall by a final score of 10-4.
- Troy Tucci (Wood Dale, Ill.) led the way at the plate going 2-for-3 with a double.
- Christian Garcia, Hunter Fiorito, Michael Gunter and Kyle Waugh each logged a hit.
- Michael Gunter led the way going 3-for-5 from the plate with an RBI.
- Dylan Johnson went 2-for-4 including a double, while adding an RBI and a run scored.
- Corey Saracco (Montgomery, Ill.) went 2-for-5 from the plate.
- Brett Down finished 1-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored.
The Rockford University baseball team returns to action on Wednesday, April 24 when it travels to take on Eureka. First pitch is set for 2 PM.