FORT MYERS, Fla. - The Rockford University baseball team got back to work with a pair of games on Thursday in the Sunshine State after a two-day hiatus. The Regents came out hot in their first game back in action as they shutout he FDU Florham Devils by an impressive score of 8-0. Unfortunately, RU could not ride that momentum into the second game of the day as the Regents fell to the Haverford College Black Squirrels 20-3.
Game 1: Rockford University 8 FDU Florham 0
- It did not take long for the Regents to get going at the plate as Kyle Waugh (Waseca, Minn.) started out the bottom of the second with a double. A long single by Iszak Mestas (Burbank, Ill.) was enough to bring Waugh around the bases to give Rockford the 1-0 lead.
- In the bottom of the third the Regents started to take chances stealing bases and it worked to perfection.
- Hunter Fiorito (Batavia, Ill.) began the inning with a single and promptly stole second before advancing to third on an error. With one out Brett Down (Princeville, Ill.) earned a walk and proceeded to steal second with Michael Gunter (Maricopa, Ariz.) at the plate.
- Michael Gunter cranked a double that would score Fiorito and move Down to third.
- A Waugh single and a Christian Garcia (Maricopa, Ariz.) sac fly would each bring runners home to give RU a 4-0 lead heading into the top of the frame.
- Christian Pearcy (Tucson, Ariz.) continued to be dominate on the mound as he kept the Devils scoreless through four.
- With one out and runners on first and second Jacob Rillamas (Yuma, Ariz.) poked an RBI single, bringing Troy Tucci (Wood Dale, Ill.) home.
- An error by FDU Florham and a sac fly to center by Down would allow the Regents to tack on an additional two more runs, increasing the lead to 7-0.
- Rockford scored its final run of the game in the sixth inning. Tucci started off with a single before a Fiorito double sent Tucci racing around the bases for the eighth and final score of the game.
- Christian Pearcy and Jake Schmollinger (Peru, Ill.) combined to help secure the shutout for the Regents.
Game 2: Haverford College 20 Rockford University 3
- The Black Squirrels jumped out to an early lead scoring in each of the first four innings while keeping the Regents at bay. Haverford tallied two in the first, three in the second, one in the third and went off for an impressive seven runs in the fourth to take a commanding 13-0 lead.
- Rockford managed to get one back in the bottom of the sixth as Brett Down got things started as he crushed a triple with one out for the Regents.
- Michael Gunter laced a single back up the middle on the very next play to allow Down to trot in to home making the score 13-1.
- Unfortunately, Haverford would answer right back as they went on to produce three more runs in the top of the seventh to increase the lead to 16-1. The Black Squirrels would put together four more runs in the top of the eighth to end their scoring at 20.
- Rockford was able to score two more runs in the bottom of the eighth, but it would not be enough to cut into the large deficit.
- After a Fiorito walk, and Rillamas was hit by a pitch, the two base runners advanced to third and second on a wild pitch with Down up to bat.
- Down grounded out to short but not before Fiorito was able to touch home. Rillamas was able to score on the next play when Gunter hit a sac fly to center.
- Christian Pearcy was fantastic on the mound for the Regents earning his first career win. Pearcy went seven innings allowing only 7 hits on 31 batters faced. Of those 31, Pearcy struck out 10 batters on the day, 4 of which were caught looking.
- Jake Schmollinger did well to finish off the shutout going the final 2 innings, while only allowing one hit.
- Hunter Fiorito led the Regent offense going 3-for-5 with a double, an RBI, a run scored and a stolen base.
- Kyle Waugh and Iszak Mestas finished 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored, while Waugh also tacked on a double.
- Troy Tucci went 1-for-2 with two runs scored and a stolen base.
- Jacob Rillamas went 1-for-3 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Michael Gunter finished the game 2-for-3 with 2 RBIs.
- Brett Down went 1-for-4 with a triple, an RBI and a run scored.
- Iszak Mestas finished 1-for-2.
The Rockford University baseball team returns to action for another pair of games on Friday, March 15 when it takes on Skidmore at 9 AM before facing off against Plymouth State at 1 PM. All times are local.