FORT MYERS, Fla. - The Rockford University Regents baseball team (2-2) split with the University of Pittsburgh Bradford Panthers (4-1) on Monday in the Sunshine State. In the first game big innings propelled the Panthers to a 12-4 game in seven innings. However, the Regents did well to rebound in the second to hand Pitt Bradford its first lost on the young season. Rockford got it done on each side of the ball as the pitching and bats were clicking in game two, as RU went on to win by a final score of 5-3.
Game 1: Pitt Bradford 12 Rockford University 4 (7 innings)
- Rockford had a chance to make something happen in the first inning with a single by Hunter Fiorito (Batavia, Ill.) followed by a double by Jacob Rillamas (Yuma, Ariz.). Unfortunately, the Regents would leave both runners stranded.
- Pitt Bradford got on the board first opening up with a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first.
- The Panthers used that momentum from the first in the following inning as they exploded for five more runs to take an early 6-0 lead heading into the top of the third.
- Rockford was able to cut into the lead after getting a run back in the third. Fiorito started with a single up the middle. After Fiorito stole second and advanced to third on an error and Rillamas was walked, Kyle Waugh (Waseca, Minn.) singled down the right field line to score one.
- This time the Regents used some momentum to tack on three more runs in the fourth to make it a 6-4 game heading into the bottom of the inning.
- With two runners on, Fiorito singled through the left side brining home Iszak Mestas (Burbank, Ill.). Next it was Rillamas who knocked a double to left center to score Jacob Toepfer (Rockford, Ill.). The Final run for the Regents would come from an error by the Panthers that allowed Fiorito to touch home.
- Unfortunately, that was as close as Rockford would get as the Panthers put the game away in the bottom of sixth by scoring 6 more runs and taking a commanding 12-4 lead.
- The Regents were not able to come back as they fell 12-4 in seven innings
Game 2: Rockford University 5 Pitt Bradford 3
- Clay Goodwin (St. Francisville, Ill.) did well on the mound as he got Rockford out of the first inning while recording two strikeouts and a pop up to center on four batters faced.
- This time it was the Regents who struck early taking an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first.
- With two outs, Brett Down (Princeville, Ill.) showed poised drawing a walk before Michael Gunter (Maricopa, Ariz.) singled through the left side. With runners on first and second, Bryson Wallace (Rockford, Ill.) laced one back up the middle to bring Down home.
- Again, Goodwin got the job done on the mound getting three straight batters to ground out to end the second. In the third Goodwin did much of the same as he got the first batter to fly out to center before getting the next two to ground out.
- Leading off the bottom of the third, Rillamas cracked a double down the left field line. Rillamas would then advance to third off a pop out.
- Gunter would help bring Rillamas in as he singled to left field to give the Regents the 2-0 lead.
- Another quick inning for Goodwin in the fourth and a fifth inning where he stayed poised stranding 2 runners, kept RU ahead going into the bottom of the fifth.
- With Payton Clouse (Shannon, Ill.) on after drawing a walk, Down saw himself at the plate with two outs. Down did well to keep the inning alive with a single to left. Michael Gunter cranked the ball down the left field line for a double, bringing both runners home. Next up Bryson Wallace would single to right as it would be enough for Gunter to come all the way home.
- The Regents would take a commanding 5-0 lead heading into the top of the sixth.
- Pitt Bradford was able to cut into the lead in the top of the frame with two runs to trail 5-2.
- Joseph Kmiec (Bolingbrook, Ill.) did well finishing out the final 3.1 innings allowing just one run and earning the save.
- Rockford would hold on for the 5-3 victory in game two.
- Hunter Fiorito went 3-for-4 with 2 runs scored and an RBI.
- Jacob Rillamas went a perfect 2-for-2 with two doubles, while earning a walk and an RBI.
- Iszak Mestas and Jacob Toepfer each finished 1-for-2 with a run scored, while Mestas also logged a walk.
- Kyle Waugh was 1-for-4 with an RBI.
- Clay Goodwin earned his first win of the season as he pitched 5.2 innings allowing just 5 hits and two runs, while striking out three batters.
- Joseph Kmiec stayed poised earning his first save of the season as he pitched the remaining 3.1 innings allowing just 2 hits and 1 run while striking out 2 batters.
- Michael Gunter led the way at the plate going 3-for-4 with a double and earning 3 RBIs and scoring a run.
- Bryson Wallace did well going 2-for-4 with 2 RBIs.
- Brett Down finished 1-for-3 scoring 2 runs.
- Jacob Rillamas went 1-for-4 with a double and a run scored.
The Rockford University baseball team has a two-day break before returning to the diamond on Thursday, March 14 against FDU Florham at 9 AM before taking on Haverford at noon. First pitch for each are set for local time.